Monday, December 19, 2011

Elf Graffiti

While in Wildwood with my camera one very cold morning, I saw some strange tiny marks on a tree trunk. 
I snapped a few pictures and saw that they actually looked like black pen marks:



ELF GRAFFITI!


I snapped a close up shot:



I still couldn't read the strange writing so I looked even closer:



Those little elves are leaving secret messages all over the place!
Dr. Coté, remember he's the webmaster for the Wildwood website, has explained to me that I have really gotten images of Scribble Lichen (Graphis scripta) and that the marks are really lirellae or a form of ascomata which are fruiting bodies of the lichen. Now, I'm sure that's what those mischievous elves want him to believe. They don't want to get in trouble because because they are scribbling all over the tree trunks!
If only I could figure out what they have written....







1 comment:

  1. Very nice, pictures and humor. Thanks for Telling us about graphis scripta

    ReplyDelete